Wednesday, July 31, 2013

What audio inputs should I use on my Sony receiver?

speaker system optical input
 on RIP Psygnosis - Rage3D Discussion Area
speaker system optical input image



Pat G


I have a STR-DB840. What is better to use for the input jacks: 5.1 channel input (I have a surround sound system) or the Digital Optical input?


Answer
You usually don't bother with the individual channel inputs unless you have another device that can decode a surround sound signal and output the discrete channels.

Otherwise, just let your receiver do that work, and use the optical input. Your receiver may also support digital coax, which carries the same signal, but uses a high quality RCA cable (usually colored orange) instead of the plastic fiber that optical uses. Most DVD players will support both optical and digital coax. Makes no difference which one you use.

Remember, this is only for devices that support surround sound. Things like your old VCR, for instance, will only do stereo (red/white RCA cables) so it won't have an optical output. This is still OK - you can use the normal stereo cables, and the receiver will only use the front speakers. This will still give you a better sound than what your TV's speakers produce.

Will my 360 have surround sound if I plug my speaker system into my TV?




Light


Or does the speaker system need to be plugged directly into my 360? My 360's connected to my TV via HDMI, if that make a difference.


Answer
Assuming your surround sound has optical input the best connection would be xbox to TV via HDMI and xbox to surround sound via optical cable




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What audio inputs should I use on my Sony receiver?
Rating: 98% based on 989 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment