Friday, June 6, 2014

Help with home theater speaker box design.?




confusedgu


Ok, I'm looking to build an awesome home theater system using car audio speakers. I have 2 Alpine type R subwoofers and 4 - 6.5 round speakers with amps and everything. What I don't have for all that is beautiful speaker boxes which i plan to make using walnut wood. All of the construction I can do. What I'm finding difficult is finding the dimensions, Qts, Dp, Xmax and all that to get the optimally designed box. What size port to use ect...... I would like to build four boxes for the 6.5 rounds and for now one subwoofer box. If anyone with this knowledge could please help me I would appreciate it greatly. If at all possible I would even like to contact you so we could discuss this further. Thanks!


Answer
Take a look at this software:
http://www.ajdesigner.com/speaker/index.php
Also you can get others, do a search for "speaker box design"
I wouldn't like to discourage you, but in the long run it would cost you more to do it yourself, than if you buy a good but inexpensive system.
If you find satisfaction on doing it yourself, then go for it!
Speakers designed for cars aren't the most suitable for the home, but they are OK. In addition to the box design, you would have to have the right cross-overs, but you may already have them.
A 5.1 receiver may have outputs that may not be suitable to drive your car speakers, but perhaps they would be OK, just know that this may be the case. Different speakers have different sensitivity, so some require more power than others to produce the same acoustical output. On a 5.1 system all of these are matched.
You can email me if you want, look at my profile.

Cheap speakers + decent computer = headache!?




RickyRicar


My wife bought me these speakers for my birthday for my PC: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4810671

The satillite speakers all plug into the subwoofer (bare-wire clip style) and the woofer has 2 red+white RCA and one 3.5mm stereo jack.

My PC has a SPDIF (coaxial), and 3.5mm jacks for rear, side, front, and center+subwoofer, along wih the typical line in, line out, and microphone jacks.

PC Specs: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00820204&lc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3339287&dlc=en

When I plug the woofer into the computer using the 3.5mm stereo plugs (male to male cable) and set my PC to 5.1 sound, the center speaker and subwoofer don't work. (Vista) Haven't hooked up the back speakers yet. When the PC is set to Quad speakers, I get sound out of woofer, left, right and center, though I fear I'm not utilizing the speakers to the fullest.

How can I hook these speakers to my PC and still get 5.1 sound out of them?



Answer
Keep in mind that you are using a speakers designed for a home theater, and not specifically for a PC. That may be why you are having sound issues.

My 5.1 Logitech system connects to my PC with three 3.5 jacks (fronts, rears, sub). Also, the speakers can be configured using the driver software. With a home theater system, you probably didn't get any software, and the default Windows driver probably doesn't recognize it properly.

If anything, I'd check your Vista sound settings (Control Panel > Sound > Configure) to make sure it is set to a 5.1 system, rather than simple stereo.

But I personally would consider using a system designed specifically for PC's. You can find a couple 5.1 systems for a comparable price:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010370060%201090608151&bop=And&Order=PRICE




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Help with home theater speaker box design.?
Rating: 98% based on 989 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment