Thursday, January 30, 2014

Optical Audio Conversion for Speaker System?




Chris


I want to attach my home speaker setup to the new Xbox One coming out. The only audio out options for the Xbox One are through SPDIF Optical or HDMI. Since the HDMI will be hooked up to my TV and my Samsung HD TV has no audio out option I cannot use the audio from the HDMI. I've never used SPDIF before and my speaker system will accept either Analog RCA or a 3.5mm Stereo Jack. Is my only choice to buy an adapter that converts the audio from SPDIF Optical to either analog RCA or 3.5mm?

Can I buy one cord with SPDIF Optical male on one side and RCA/3.5 male on the other?
Or do I have to buy a conversion box that requires power and a SPDIF Optical cord and a RCA/3.5mm cord?

Simply put: I want Optical audio converted to either Analog L/R RCA or 3.5mm Stereo Jack with as least parts as possible.

Thank You!
Are there converter boxes that don't use power? I'd hate to waste a outlet spot for a simple audio mishap.



Answer
A passive "cord" will not convert the pulsed light of the Optical Digital (aka Toslink) out of the XBox One to the Analog RCA inputs of your sound system. You need an active converter like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optical-Coaxial-Toslink-Converter/dp/B007S6U7I4

Note that this one also converts Coaxial Digital audio to analog RCA.
There are many others that do the same thing - search [optical digital to analog rca audio converter] to find them, NOTE: do be careful - don't get an Optical Digital to Coaxial Digital converter - these are available also but won't do you any good (like this):

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?seq=1&format=2&p_id=2948&CAWELAID=1329448148&catargetid=320013720000010661&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CJapo93Y57oCFfFAMgod9QkAcA

Optical and Coaxial digital are different varieties of the same S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interconnect Format) digital audio signal, but are incompatible, as Coaxial is all electronic and Toslink (TOShiba LINK) is light, carried on fiber optic cable (single or multiple strands of glass in high-quality cables, or more often clear plastic).
Finally, are you certain your Samsung HDTV has no audio out? Very few HDTVs have none, with the majority being Toslink and many Coaxial and still a few Analog outs on older models. Check your manual or the back of your TV to be sure, as you can go from the TV's Out instead of the XBox to your sound system with the same converter and get "audio follow video", meaning whatever source is what you are watching (Game console, DVD/BD player, cable/satellite/OTA, etc) the audio from that source will automatically be fed to the sound system when you switch sources. Something to consider - Good luck!

A good 5.1 channel surround speaker system with optical digital input?




Arvind


Friends, I am seeking to purchase a good 5.1 channel surround speaker system having an optical digital audio input. Please suggest me.


Answer
JBL 5.1 Channel SCS145.5 Surround Cinema Speaker System work great. Other then the need to switch out the stock speaker wire for something a little more hefty like say, 12 gauge, the sound quality is far more then I expected. The powered subwoofer is Ok, but I wanted something heavier - at least a 10". I got a 12", 400 watt subwoofer, and I think my neighbors don't like me anymore :) I would recommend JBL speakers over BOSE speakers any day!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Optical Audio Conversion for Speaker System?
Rating: 98% based on 989 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment