Tuesday, July 23, 2013

How can I distort music by moving toward/away from the source?

speaker system definition
 on Magneplanar Definition. Crossword Dictionary.
speaker system definition image
Q. I am looking to make a sound/sculpture for my Fine Art degree. It will be a human sized black monolith. Inside the structure I want a speaker system playing a deep bass ambient track, I want this track to be affected in terms of reverb or pitch as viewers move toward or away from the monolith. I have no idea how this could be done... Any help would be great!


Answer
Let me clarify one thing. The term "distortion" in the audio world has a whole different meaning than any other definition of the word. Audio distortion is a bad thing. In order to distort a musical signal one must overdrive the signal into clipping. For example, when a person is speaking into a microphone and then gets too close to the speakers or has the main volume up too high to the point where the mic picks up the sound from the speakers. That ear-splitting high pitch squeal you here then is the signal being clipped into distortion. Not good at all for the speakers especially the high frequency driver/s. Also, low frequencies(roughly below 100Hz) are omnidirectional. So if you just had a speaker playing a deep ambience track, the pitch would not be affected by a viewer moving toward or away from the monolith. The bass would actually be more pronounced at the distance where any given low frequency wave completes one cycle. In other words, the lower the bass note, the further one has to be. But it wouldn't change the pitch. The bass would just sound louder at a certain distance.

Why am I getting analog" displayed on my receiver when I'm using optical cable?







I have a home theater with a Marantz SR5600 receiver, and a High Definition DVR cable box from Cablevision. I also have a 5.1 speaker system hooked up. I hooked up an optical cable from the "optical out" of the cable box to the "optical in" of the receiver, removed the cable for the regular coax connection, and put the receiver on "auto", then played a digital broadcast. However, the word "alalog" is always displayed. Does anyone know why this could be? Thank you.


Answer
One the set-top box make sure you send "bitstream" or Dolby Digital over s/pdif.

Make sure you haven't connected any RCA analog cables between the receiver and the set-top box.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How can I distort music by moving toward/away from the source?
Rating: 98% based on 989 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment