Saturday, September 14, 2013

How do resistors affect sound quality?

best high end component speaker system
 on Highend Audio Review
best high end component speaker system image



Rah


I've heard to a lot of diy'ers wiring in resistors inline with their high end stereo components to improve the sound quality. What is the point of this?


Answer
Changes the impedance of the output circuit, but I don't know how it could improve sound if the speakers are properly matched. If anything, it would reduce volume, and maybe bass and treble response somewhat. It does reduce the effective wattage output, and if the system is not properly matched, that may reduce distortion.

How should I install a custom 9 speaker sound system in a car?




IT's ME


I will be adding 4" speakers on the dash and 6 1/2" speakers in kick panels up front. The car is a 2002 Pontiac Sunfire & it has 4x6" speakers in the front door and 6x9" speakers in the rear deck.

Here is what I plan on purchasing:
Head Unit - Kenwood DPX300U $115, 3 sets of 2v per amp outputs, 22 Watts RMS x 4
Dash - Alpine Type-S SPS-410 $40, 4" 2-Way Coaxial Speakers, 45 Watts RMS
Door - Alpine Type-S SPS-406 $50, 4x6" 2-Way Coaxial Speaker, 45 Watts RMS
Kick Panel - Alpine Type-S SPS-610C $75, 6 1/2", 2-Way Component Speaker, 80 Watts RMS
Rear Deck - Alpine Type-S SPS-619 $75, 6x9" 3-Way Coaxial Speaker, 85 Watts RMS
Subwoofer - Alpine Type-S SWS-12D2 $100, 12" Dual 2 Ohm Subwoofer (To be used in 4 Ohm), 500 Watts RMS

I plan on using a single amplifier for this system.
Amplifier - Alpine MRX-V70 $260, 5 Channel, Class D, 60 Watts RMS x 4 Channel + 250 RMS x 1 Channel @ 4 Ohms.

I want to know if this is a waste of money if I am only going for a SQ system. I want to be able to have my music be turned up LOUD & be VERY clear. I really don't want more than 1 Subwoofer because more than one will only lower the SQ imo, but, will the DASH & FRONT DOOR speakers being powered from the head unit lower my SQ or will it add more to the loudness factor? I am also wondering if I should invest in bass blockers and/or baffles for the Dash and Front Door?? Any ideas? Will I need a capacitor for this system? I plan on using high quality speaker wires (rewiring everything) and quality amp kit as well as lots of sound dampening material. Thanks for professional and amateur opinions!
SS - I understand that. The two pair of speakers hooked up the the head unit are rated for a max of 45 watts RMS but will only be getting 22 Watts RMS from the head unit. And the other two pair of speakers are rated at 80 and 85 Watts RMS, but, will only recieve 60 Watts RMS. That much is clear but what my question is... Will having the door speakers and dash speakers hooked up to my head unit (22 watts RMS each) ADD to the DB and SQ of my audio inside (as well as outside) of my car or will the difference in RMS WATTAGE being applied 1) from the head unit 2) the external amp only create a bad sound quality????
Because - If the dash/door speakers don't add crap to the sound in my car I could just not install them and not use the internal amplifier on the head unit.
But - luxury sound systems have 6+ speakers & I know that more cone space(ie speaker size) tend to make them louder. (2 10"s tend to be louder than 1 12" (similar speaker, model and box of course) but will there be a major difference since 4 speakers will be getting 22 watts rms and the other 4 speakers will be getting 60 watts rms............ ugh im confused.
Thank you N2 Audio! I was hoping someone could simplify that for me. That's why I was asking in the first place. I think I may eliminate the rears and go with two pairs of matched component sets up front (kick panel and front door) I need to figure out how to place the speakers in the door so that they are "aimed" correctly. I know the kick panels already are "aimed" that was the reason I got them in the first place. So in the front I wont notice there are no rear speakers with two sets? and I will continue to keep the single 12" in a sealed box. thanks



Answer
Sounds like a mess to me.

The most effective way to get good sound quality is with one GOOD pair of front component speakers getting plenty of power and a GOOD subwoofer (or two) in a GOOD box getting plenty of power.
That's really all there is to it.

Adding additional speakers just means a lot of misdirected sound reflecting all over the car.
You can GET SQ with a lot of speakers, but it's a lot of work...imaging/aiming, time alignment, vibration damping etc.

A good pair up front is simple and effective.

Rear fill is considered optional in a basic SQ set up. A lot of people go without rears all together. If you want rear "fill" for back seat passengers (like I do) I'd choose either the deck or door speakers and power them with the head unit.
I use my stock speakers for rear fill (they're acually low power JBL 5x7's) and they work well.

Your plans seem fine in theory, and it's definitely good quality equipment.
I just think you could save some time and money by simplifying and probably end up with better SQ.

Edit:
A stereo sound system is an attempt to create the sound of live music.
The band plays on the stage in front of you right?
Rear speakers aren't needed to produce the "image" of a band on stage.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How do resistors affect sound quality?
Rating: 98% based on 989 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment