Monday, June 16, 2014

Why am I getting speaker distortion?




Allen


I managed to find a pretty cool all-in-one stereo at Goodwill, RCA 5-Disc Changer, record+playback cassette deck, 6 ohms, came with 6 ohm speakers. SO:
6 ohms, 6 ohms speakers
120 volts
60hz
80 watts.

So, taking a chance (Come on,electronics frome Goodwil...) I buy this puppy for 15$.

I get home and hook it up, and to no suprise, the speakers aren't working. I try 3 different sets to no avail.
I plug in some headphones to the headphone jack, works great.
So after pondering, I had an idea:

I hooked up an FM transmitter to the headphone jack, grabbed an old Panasonic boombox (detachable speakers), take the speakers off and hook up the ones that came with the system. I set it on top of the stereo, set the speakers in they're proper places. and tune in on the boombox's radio. Work's like a charm.

Only one problem:

I'm getting speaker distortion.

The speakers that were attached to the boombox were rated at 2.7 ohms, and the boombox itself is rated at 2.7-8 ohms.

So why am I getting speaker distortion with these 6 ohm speakers.

I'm going to try a 8 ohm set now, I'll let you know how it works.

By the way, the boombox is 35 watts, but since the speakers are 80, this shouldn't be a problem, right?
Boombox.... little? Oh no... no...
Lol.

But yeah, I asked the same question in electronics>other and got the answer I was looking for. You'll still get best on this one though.

Turns out I was just overloading my FM transmitter, turned the volume on the stereo down, boombox up, works like a charm.

And besides it's not like I was looking for a stereo or wal-mart or something. I've got other much better stereos, but I just like projects and junk and stuff lol. Now my little bro has one in his room.

Sounds awesome too!



Answer
It should be good, but I think it could be your transmitter. Even though the transmitter isn't broken or faulty, the quality still isn't good enough to be able to pump out audio with little to no distortion. I'd say your best bet would be to maybe find a different stereo altogether. Also, RCA isn't the best brand to buy if you're looking for stereos or home theater systems. The 3 best brands to get would be Panasonic, Sony or JVC. It could be the stereo as well; the amp could just be old or it could even be your boombox. Maybe the specs meant 2.7 ohms to 2.8 ohms because it's just a little boombox, correct?

Anyway, you could try using a different method. If the boombox has RCA type jacks in the back or side or top or whatever (you know, the white and red jacks you find on TVs, VCRs and other electronics). If your boombox has these, then you can just buy a Y-adapter that plugs into the headphone jack of your RCA stereo and plugs into your boombox. That should work well. If not, check your bass settings and make sure your volume isn't too high.

Good luck!

How can i put together an inexpensive, but good surround sound system for my computer?




fbeetleson


Right now, i have a bunch of high quality speakers, meaning hundred dollar speakers plugged into a crappy, 80 dollar stereo system using speaker wire. From there, the stereo using a auxillary output via RCA to plug into my computer.

For a while, this was fine. But now, i'm coming to realise that this is a very low quality setup, yet my speakers cost a fortune. I think it's because of my stereo system- my computer has a pimped out sound card. I also thought it may be because i'm using RCA cable to connect it. My computer has a digital audio output, if it helps.

So, my question is, how can i reform my surround sound to:
a) give me SURROUND sound, and not just stereo sound
b) Actually sound good, without having that white noise coming from my speakers all the time.

Oh yeah, and i want to spend the least ammount of money i can: im in highschool. i dont have a job. =\

Any and all help would be very appreciated. =)



Answer
are ur speakers a matched set or all different?the best way would to buy a surround system from logitech or Cambridge.they have like 400 watt and can process digital signals.most home receivers cant process digital signals and ur white noise is probably coming from a ground fault in ur receiver.i have a logitech z-680 system that if had for about 6 years now and they sound great with the added bonus of all the extra input so u can have ur game system,computer,cd player,even ur ipod all hooked up ready to go.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Why am I getting speaker distortion?
Rating: 98% based on 989 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment