Thursday, March 6, 2014

Does this Sonos speaker setup work?




nthep


I am undergoing a remodel and am going to have walls and ceilings opened up. So, I was going to putter a better whole house system. Initially, I was going to put in just a new dual zone receiver, a monster speaker selector, and the impedence switches in a few rooms and try to connect the house in this way.

All of this was going to run to 2 pairs of Polk RC8's ceiling speakers and 1 pair of external speakers.

I had read about the Sonos system and dismissed it initially, but am now intrigued by the WiFi, iPad, iPhone control of it. I have some questions as a result though.

I am considering the Sonos ZP120 to provide the amp as well and would like to keep the Polk ceiling setup. My questions are:

* Would I need more than ZP120 to run 3 pairs of the 8ohm speakers?
* If I did have more than one ZP120 for some reason, is the idea that they "speak" to eachother and that is why I can control different speakers in different rooms from one interface ?
* Doesn't it seem redundent to have more than one ZP120 with a multi-speaker setup when many people will just be after the additional amp and not really the CPU/control? I don't understand this part.
* If I want to pump the audio from a DVD playing through my TV system through the house (maybe a concert DVD), how would that work?

Thanks,
Tim



Answer
The Sonos system is proprietary and will not work with other speaker systems only other sonos systems also it is wireless and you do not need to place the speakers or wires in the wall...I would take a look at systems by HTD (Home Theater Direct) for wired systems and Grace Audio for wireless...Wireless is still very expensive though and doesn't mix well with wired and wireless in the same system.... anther item you might take a look at for wireless is the Soundcast SC 100 this system will allow you to use regular 8 ohm speakers like the polk you have but wireless, I would think very carefully before getting into wireless though because its expensive and has not been perfected especially if your looking for the same quality you can get out of a wired system....wireless is prone to interference from microwave ovens; cell phones etc..and the quality of sound is still not as good as wired except for the most expensive systems....and then its only as good as an average sounding wired system...

What sound system to go with these speakers?




Chris Mcco


I have just purchased and installed 4 x 100w 8ohm recessed ceiling speakers to a domestic kitchen. However I am unsure what system to wire them in to. Can anyone recommend a good system on the market? I would like something with a wireless connection so that I can play music from my iPad/phone without the need of aux cables, but this is cost dependant.

Any help is greatly appreciated, apologies for my vagueness!



Answer
Wireless i-pad is not really compatable with the speaker system you have; afordable wireless usually uses low power amplifiers driving very efficent speakers over wifi, because of cost; to drive those speakers to acceptable levels is going to require some amplifier power behind them; what you could do is wire the speakers to a regular receiver or amplifier then use a product like the Grace Digital GDI-IRA 500 or an Apple Air Port express... to achieve wireless, but you still have compatibility issues with the ipad ...another route would be to use something like the Soundcast SCS 100 which is good for 2 speakers , you may need an additional modual for 4 speakers though and a receiver that is air play compatable or you could get a modern receiver that is air play compatable..and hard wire the speakers to an airplay receiver....or just a regular stereo receiver and an air port express modual....all hard wired together but the connection to your I-pad or I phone would be wireless....




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Does this Sonos speaker setup work?
Rating: 98% based on 989 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment