Sunday, March 16, 2014

Best laptop speakers?




Hugh


I am traveling to Hungary next semester. Of course I am taking my laptop with my many gigs of music. I love music and want to listen to it over there louder than my laptop will allow with external speakers. What are the best ones to get that are at a reasonable price and if it has a subwoofer that it will be somewhat small.
I saw a few powered by usb which would be nice because of the power converters. Has anyone had these or know how well they work, reliability, loudness, etc...?
Thanks,
Kevin



Answer
You should get Cyber Acoustics® CA-2014RB 2-Piece Speaker System, 3 Watt speakers from Office Depot. It requires electricity, but it can plug into your computer's headphone port. I had experience with these speakers, and they work great.

Does computer speakers that use a usb still use the onboard sound card?




Caleb H


I want to get the Bose® - Companion® 5 Multimedia Speaker System (3-Piece), but it uses a usb to hook it up to the computer and I want to get the Asus crosshair IV extreme when it comes out and it has a creative XFI onboard sound chip. I want to know if I go through a usb that it will still be using the sound chip.


Answer
Well,
Unfortunately, the way the Companion 5 works, it takes the raw digital signal thru your USB connection.... then its internal DAC takes over all the processing. So no, your soundcard will not be active.

Currently, I got a set of Bose Companion 5 speakers from BestBuy for about $500.
I have it hooked up to my HP Slimline HTPC: s3530f with Usb and another set of speakers thru onboard soundcard by realtek via headphone Jack...
I've always thought that ithe onboard soundcard does a decent job... as when I compare it's headphone out to its SPDIF out to my Pioneer receiver then out from receiver to Headphone out again... they are comparable in quality... It's hard to tell the difference really.

I then hooked up my new Companion 5 via USB. I have my Audioengine A2 powered speakers hooked up to the headphone out. The Audioengine A2 is a 2.0 system with a sub-out... so i have it also hooked up to my Yamaha 8:subwoofer.

I did a comparison.

I listened to the Companion 5's throroughly first ... they sound good - sorta bright, but everything sounds decent. The only thing that I noticed is that the high mids are boosted. I was surprised how clear the highs are - the highs and mids do sound pretty sharp to the ears when turned up loud.
The usb works flawlessly and things sound clear.
Then I used my sound control settings in control panel, and switched between my Audioengine setup and the Bose to compare different songs - different genres etc...

I can just say that jumping back and forth, shows the Audioengine A2's strengths, and Bose's weaknesses... Main thing: the vocals from the A2 is warm and chesty* - whereas the Bose's is synthetic and thin* - the voices have no body.. but has more sharper sounds to it. I can listen to the A2's loud - near max without any issues... but when I turn the Bose up, they hurt my ears - as the high-mids become SHRILL!@

The A2's with my Yamaha sub is better hands down. The A2's were $200. The Yamaha sub was a gift from my buddy - he didn't need it anymore.

Umm... I think I'm gonna return the Bose --- I would rather spend the $500 on something else:)

With a quality soundcard - the A2's would sound even better.
Audioengine also makes a larger A5 - as an option if you are interested.

Go ahead - I'd suggest trying them both... Both Audioengine and Bose gives a "no questions asked" 30day return policy*- try it... $500 investment is a fair bit of money [especially these days]... compare them to a speaker that is less than half the price - but you'd have to connect a sub to them - as it will be an unfair comparo without the sub. You may like the Bose more - it's possible, but really, at least compare - as only a comparison will give you a good idea on how an AUDIO product performs.

You see, even I - when listening to the Bose Companion 5 or the Bose MusicMonitors by themselves at the Apple store or Best buy... all the accoustic properties are connected to the room accoustics: the environment matters. Bring both home, and the variable is taken out right away. Then you can compare all you want - with your music, at the comfort of your own home.
Also, audio is like colour. If I asked you to remember a colour, then go and pick that colour from a bunch of chips... at the hardware store, it'll be hard to be accurate- especially when the lighting is different [maybe your mood is even different -which changes your perception]. Like colour, sound is also a hard thing to memorize, and recall accurately.
So only a comparison - side by side will give you a good idea on which is "better" for you / suits your taste better. Listen to both and or another brand of interest like the Klipsch promedias... and this will help you decide if your onboard soundcard or the Asus Crosshair iv exteme would be a better bet -vs- usb audio to the Bose's internal DSP.

Hope this helps.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Best laptop speakers?
Rating: 98% based on 989 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment