Sunday, December 15, 2013

What is a good Home Theater System to buy?

speaker logic system
 on Cirrus Logic - New Audio System Processors are Ideal for Digital Audio ...
speaker logic system image



Bryce D


I am looking to buy a Home Theater system. I don't want to spend over $200 and I don't need a DVD player. Does anyone know what a good inexpensive brand to buy? I really want something that sounds awesome when I watch movies. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.


Answer
I have an expensive home theater so I can't really help you, but I agree that every penny is worth it. My logic is that I spend 4 hours a day or so watching TV so even if you spend $1000 a year on it that is only $1000 /(4 x 365) = 68 cents an hour.

I would start with an expensive audio component and get some used cheap speakers and wiring. Then later upgrade to better speakers, wiring, components and TVs each year a little at a time.

ebay has good prices on electronics.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=3&campid=5335994191&toolid=10001&customid=&ext=home+theater&satitle=home+theater

Is it OK to buy a used Home Theater system?




Ben Strong


I'm by no means an audiophile, but would like a decent home theater sound system. What do i need to look out for when buying a used system? I don't want to invest in a dead technology. At a minimum, what should I look for?


Answer
At a minimum you want 5.1 audio with both DTS and Dolby Digital support. Beyond that you see diminishing returns, as there's a HUGE leap between Dolby Pro Logic and Dolby Digital sound. Essentially the 5.1 means there are 5 independent full range channels with a completely independent LFE (low frequency effects) channel.

The difference between DTS and Dolby Digital are subtle at best, theoretically DTS is a less compressed format with higher resolution but in the end it comes down the the sound engineering behind the tracks for each individual movie. However, it's now virtually standard on all receivers and there are many DTS encoded dvds now.

There are a few newer standards like Dolby Digital EX and DTS-ES which add an extra center channel or two to the rear, but in my opinion the extra cost of the speakers is better spent on building a solid 5 speaker (+ subwoofer) system. Also, in the home placing a rear center channel is problematic and in my opinion more trouble than it's worth. If you can get a higher end and better built (but older) 5.1 receiver, that's a much better use of your money than a lower end 7.1 system. Also, the new formats are completely backward compatible with the older ones, so there are no compatibility issues with older gear.

The 5.1 standards have been out for about 10 years now, but there are no real breakthroughs on the home theater front. The only thing that I would recommend in terms of future proofing is a set of 5.1 channel inputs on your receiver for an external decoder, though at this point I don't know what that new audio standard would be.

I haven't really mentioned the high def audio formats like SACD or DVD Audio because there isn't a lot of media and to truly take advantage of the better sound you'd have to make a BIG investment in speakers and improving the acoustics of your room.

For speakers, definitely don't skimp. My favorite brands (bang for the buck) are Paradigm, PSB, and Energy. Energy has a sub/sat line called the Take 5 which is all the speakers + subwoofer you need for around $700. There is a newer model called act6 which is around $800 and is quite good. In terms of receivers, Denon is good all around, and Yamaha makes good receivers towards the high end. Onkyo is also good. Sony is not great. Lots of features and nice looking gear but sonically not as good as Denon, Onkyo, or the nicer Yamahas. When in doubt, see if the receiver is made in Japan. Usually the Japanese brands reserve their higher spec gear from the Japanese plants. There is plenty of good stuff which is not made there, but if it is you're in good shape.

I have a Yamaha RXV-2095 which I bought in 1999 and I feel like I have no reason to upgrade for the next few years. It's a solid receiver with lots of clean amplification.

Also, if five speakers is a lot of scratch, you can still have great home theater with just the 3 front speakers and a subwoofer.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What is a good Home Theater System to buy?
Rating: 98% based on 989 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment