Wednesday, December 18, 2013

How to know the loudness of a speaker system?

speaker system music
 on Bose announced the SoundDock 10 Digital Music System for iPod media ...
speaker system music image



sharma_k33


guys ,i want to buy a speaker system for my living room and hear my music loud to the xtent of waking my neighours.If a speakers rating is given in RMS , can anybody tell me what should be the good RMS rating for this.
is a 50 w rms system good enough for a large room?



Answer
The maximum output level is measured in dB SPL (sound pressure level). Manufacturers specify the Sensitivity (dB SPL at 1 watt rms at 1 meter) and the maximum power handling of the speaker in Watts rms..
The speaker with the highest sensitivity will be the loudest, but it's maximum loudest level will be dependent of its maximum power handling. Example: Sensitivity 100 dB SPL/1W/1meter, max power 256 watts. For every doubling of the power, the SPL increases 3dB, so at 2w=103; at 4W=106; at 8w=109; at 8w=112; at 16w=115; at 32w=118; at 64w=121; at 128w=124 and at 256w=127 dB SPL. That is very, very loud!
Now as you stand farther than 1 meter, the SPL lowers by 6dB for every doubling of the distance. At 8 meters (~25 feet), the max SPL will be 109 dB (loud enough for a dancing area).
Added: One more detail, is Power Compression, as the speaker is continuously running at maximum power, its voice coil heats up, then its resistance increases, so the power that the amplifier delivers to it decreases, lowering the SPL. Some manufacturers do a very good job of lowering the voice coil temperature, by improving ventilation.
Look at the spec's of this one:
http://www.jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=ES90BK&Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA&cat=BFS&ser=ES
sensitivity 91 dB SPL, max power 225W. High quality, but not very high level.
Compare to this one:
http://jblpro.com/products/portablesound/prx/prx525.html

What is a good desktop computer speaker system?




palman18


I want to buy some new computer speakers since my old cheap speakers broke and I'm sick of using a gaming headset for music and movies. I am looking to spend around $150-200 on a good speaker system. I am a "semi-audiophile" and I appreciate good sound. I would prefer a system with a good balance of highs, mids, and lows and would rather have a good 2.1 system than a cheap surround sound system. I would prefer a system with a subwoofer, but if there are any that have good bass without one, I am open to it. I don't have a sound card on my computer, but I am open to buying one if it makes a considerable difference. Any help is appreciated.


Answer
Here are a few speaker systems that fall within your price range.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007679%20600010683%204017&IsNodeId=1&name=%24100%20-%20%24200&Order=RATING&Pagesize=100




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How to know the loudness of a speaker system?
Rating: 98% based on 989 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment