Wednesday, February 12, 2014

5 speakers on 7.1 system?




Hugh Rhine


What happens if you hook up 5 speakers and sub woofer on a 7.1 surround system? Do the unused channels pose a problem for the amp?


Answer
Not a problem. Your onscreen menu, under speaker configuration(on my onkyo, anyway) might show something like 'surround' and 'surround back'. Hook your two surrounds to the surround speaker connectors on rear of receiver. If your receiver has a setup microphone feature, it will automatically know there are no surround back speakers connected. Otherwise, go into the speaker configuration menu and just verify that the surround back speakers are set to 'none'. You won't hurt your receiver.

Hugh, XD......is not correct with what he said. Say you have a 7.1 channel receiver with each channel having an RMS output of 100 watts per channel x 7 channels. And you don't utilize the two 'surround back' channels, thus hooking up only the fronts, center, and two rear surrounds, the receiver's amplifier DOES NOT reallocate the unused 200 watts by spreading them over the 5 channels that are being used.
To further educate you, XD....., very few receivers can actually output their full, per channel, RMS rating, with all channels driven simultaneously. Manufacturers know that rarely do all channels have audio info hitting every speaker at full tilt at the same time. Therefore, to stay competitive, makers do not build their power supplies beefy enough(spend the extra money on the parts) to accomplish this.
I'm not saying all this to piss you off, just to correct your misinformation. If I'm ever wrong with one of my answers, I hope someone will step up and politely correct my error.

Setting up a PC audio 5.1 speaker system?




corbaire


Where can I find a 3.5mm male rca to bare speaker wire adapter?
Last time I connected a receiver to my pc audio card, I fried the audio card and about fried the computer. If there is unit that is safe to use with a computer that will allow me to connect the bare wires from my speakers then what is the unit I need?



Answer
Now why would you use bare wires to connect a 5.1 system ? a 5.1 speaker has 3 3.5 mm adapters. one carries the signals of center speaker and subwoofer. Another the front 2 channels and the other the rear channels. I'd suggest if you can manage it. use 3.5 mm adapters to connect them. It'd save you hassle if you later plan to disconnect the speaker. If you must, then here it is. Each 3.5 mm pin has 3 wires. One is ground and the other two carry the two signals. Use a multimeter to determine which is which. Also I think you need an Amplifier before you can directly connect from pc output to speaker. If you have one then connect the separate 5 channels to the amp and take the output of the amp to the speakers.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: 5 speakers on 7.1 system?
Rating: 98% based on 989 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment