Monday, August 12, 2013

Need help setting up a home theater system?

speaker system digital input
 on Frisby Rear Wireless Home Theater Tower Speaker System 5.1 Surround ...
speaker system digital input image



carwasher


I have a DVD player that only has analog audio outputs and 1 digital output. However I just got a receiver/subwoofer and speaker system as a gift and it does not have a digital input port. It has six ports (one for each speaker (5) and one for subwoofer). How can I connect from digital out (DVD) to 6 Analog In (receiver)??


Answer
if your dvd player has discrete channel analog outputs (that is, analog outputs for each fl, center, fr, sr, sl and sub), you may be able to put those to the multi-channel input of your reciever. i just have never seen a dvd player with that kind of connections, but i did use such a setup for my computer which had a 6-channel sound card and internal digital audio processing.

If I purchase a home theatre speaker system with an included reciever, can I use it with my PC?




Anonymous


My sound card is integrated. It's a 7.1 Realtek audio integrated card. I'm pretty sure there's no digital input output option, only a couple of 3mm jacks.

By the way, my computer's model is the Dell Inspiron 530.

What wires and/or plugs would I need to make this possible?



Answer
On the 530 with only the integrated card, you're right - I think there are only 6x 3.5mm minjack sockets. Unfortunately, none of these will give you quite what you want. They're fine for connecting a powered speaker package, but the one thing missing is a digital output.

If you're investing in a good home theatre system, I'd recommend getting a new sound card as well. Optical, digital or S/PDIF are output options you're looking for on the card, depending on what the receiver inputs are of course. Just ensure you have a match and buy the appropriate cable.

This will also mean you have really simple connectivity from you PC to your home theatre system, and potentially better sound quality anyway for two reasons:

1) you're dealing with a digital signal rather than analogue
2) the card may also have better sound performance (S/N or signal-to-noise ratio) than the integrated card as it's one step removed from motherboard electronics. This is important if you're investing in a good receiver and speakers - if you start with a good signal, you'll get a better sound.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Need help setting up a home theater system?
Rating: 98% based on 989 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment