Saturday, May 10, 2014

can i plug 3 ohm speakers into a 6 ohm system?




Don and Sh


I want to buy an onkyo sr 308 home theater receiver and I already have samsung speakers from my old "theater in a box system". The speakers are 3 ohm and I need to know if I can hook these up to the onkyo sr 308 which says it is rated for 6 - 16 ohm?
If these 3 ohm speakers are no good, what ohm do I need to buy to set this up?



Answer
No NO NO!

You will destroy your expensive amp by hooking up those crappy speakers to it.

Look - the closer you get to 0 ohms - the closer you are to a short circuit.

Crappy "home theater in a box" system use 3 and 2 ohm speakers to inflate the power numbers. The parts are NOT designed to work with any other gear. When one part breaks - you throw the whole thing away. (The ability to mix/match is one of the things you gave up for that low price.)

"If these 3 ohm speakers are no good, what ohm do I need to buy to set this up?"

Only buy speakers from 'real' speaker companies. This means a company that makes speakers as it's main business.

Most speakers are nominal 8 ohms. Look for this. you can get away with 6 ohm speakers but dont go lower than this.

Surround Speaker Systems?




galea_step


What would you suggest as speaker setup to be coupled with (5.1 or 6.1for now) AV RECIVER - 120 W for 7 Channels at 8 ohms
(Eigheter Yamaha RX-V1600 or ONKYO TX-SR803E or Denon AVR 2807 or Denon AVR-3806)

SPEAKER SETUP INCLUDING SUB NOT TO EXCEED 700 GBP.
Preferable not less then 88Db speakers, include a sub of not less then 200W Rms.
First of all I thank you all for providing me with such info. I wanted to include that I live in Malta, and here we are limited with the choices of brands.

As a reciever I am more opting for the denon AVR 2807 and the Yamaha RV-1600.
Speaker setup I was considering locally are Mission M series and the acoustic-energy - aegis series.
What do you think?



Answer
I think the best thing to do is to go to a good home theater store and listen to some good Home theater speakers, also look up some others home theater set ups.People when they ask about speakers usually come up with the same ole names in speakers, JBL ,POLK, etc .There are plenty of good ones out there like Mirage (which i have),MB QUART,FOCAL
http://www.hometheatermag.com/loudspeakers/904mbquart
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-n6264eLEXve/cgi-bin/prodgroup.asp?g=12700&pg=
Mirage
http://www.miragespeakers.com/v2/
http://www.bostonacoustics.com/
Most of these speakers you'll find online , in Tweeter, or if your lucky Best Buy, not the regular bwest buy but Best Buy MAgnolia store, they carry the high end stuff that the normal ones dont carry so check it out have fun.
Hope you pick the DENON a/v reciever i bought the denon avr 2603 last year with the Mirage omistat speakers for my BEDroom, will pick up 2807 for livimg room




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: can i plug 3 ohm speakers into a 6 ohm system?
Rating: 98% based on 989 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment