Monday, April 14, 2014

Good, high quality, optical input speaker systems?




Kyle


I'm hoping to get some suggestions about good speaker systems. Currently looking into buying a speaker system for use in my home and dorm room. I plan to use it to play music, video games, movies, and general PC use. I would be alright with either a 2.1 or a 5.1 system. Price range anywhere from 600$ or lower (preferably lower, but not cheapo).

My PC and Xbox can both output in digital optical audio, and I would prefer to use them if at all possible. Cord management is a big deal when wiring these up in my dorm, and I'd like the added quality.


So far I have looked into the Bose Cinemate II Series:
http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/home_theater/21channel_systems/cinemate_systems/cinemate_series2/index.jsp?model=cinemate_gs_series2
I can get the lesser model for 429$ where I live.

And I have briefly looked at the Logitech z5500, but have heard bad things about the music audio quality, so I'm skeptical of the price.

Any suggestions or input would be helpful. Thanks.



Answer
Avoid the Bose, avoid Logitech as well. They're both terrible... Bose is just higher priced junk, and Logitech is lower-priced junk.

I can recommend an excellent 2.1 setup to you, but it will not utilize the optical inputs on your PC and Xbox. That said, trust me when I say it doesn't make a real difference in most cases. I have used both Optical and Analog inputs, and it only matters if you are using a very high end system. If we're talking speakers that are entry-level ($4000 and below) then you most likely will never notice a difference between optical and analog (RCA, or other).

Now that I got all of that down, I'll recommend you look into this...

Suggested system: A pair of AudioEngine A2 powered speakers along with an Energy ESW-C8 subwoofer. The AudioEngines are small but powerful speakers, made in the USA, that I personally own and enjoy myself. The Energy sub is a great entry level sub that will assist the petite AudioEngines in rocking the house. Price: AudioEngine A2: $200... Energy Sub: $300...

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_772A2B/Audioengine-2-A2-Satin-black.html?search=AudioEngine+A2

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_732ESWC8/Energy-ESW-C8.html?tp=187

The AudioEngines would be connected to your XBOX or PC via RCA inputs, then you would take a 3.5mm/RCA cable to connect from the AudioEngine's 3.5mm jack to the sub's RCA jacks. Tada, excellent 2.1 system.



There are two reasons I'm choosing AudioEngine A2s as the speakers... One, they're powered so you don't need an amp, two, they're outstanding speakers... period. In your price range, you don't have room to go for an amp and speakers and a sub... doing so would leave you with sub-par sound. (Like what Bose would give)

The AudioEngine A2s will give you outstanding detail and clarity, and the Energy sub will give nice punch to the system.

Plain and simple, AudioEngine is made in the USA, Bose is made in China. Energy is a highly respected name and makes great entry-level subs... Bose just makes junk out of paper and foam.


Good luck, hopefully I helped.

Please suggest 5.1 speakers with digital optical input.?




ALOK





Answer
Speakers do not have optical inputs with the possible exception of a soundbar that accepts 5.1 via optical.

The optical needs decoding to break it out into 6 channels of sound, then convert to analog. Then you need to run each of these channels through a amplifier to convert the line-level signals to speaker-level. Then you hook speakers up to these analog, powered outputs.

You need a system built around a full-sized AV Receiver. Then you can add what ever 5.1 speaker set you can afford.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Good, high quality, optical input speaker systems?
Rating: 98% based on 989 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment