Friday, February 7, 2014

New car radio/speakers question!?




Ben


I just bought a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and I'm thinking about getting a new radio and speakers for it. Here are the links:
http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-629I-Two-Way-Speakers-Inch/dp/B0019G2HA0/ref=au_pf_ss_12?ie=UTF8&Make=Jeep|42&Model=Grand%20Cherokee|349&Year=2004|2004&carId=001&n=1077068&s=car

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ARSNT7Q/ref=s9_simh_gw_p422_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=0HKJ4YG7N8CSDRZ31M4N&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1630072202&pf_rd_i=507846

Im just wondering if these are 2 good options, also should I look into buying an amplifier to make the sound even better?



Answer
I bought the non CD version of the JVC. I love it. The power is decent and it works with my Samsung Galaxy S4 for Bluetooth functionality for phone and Pandora. I think it is a steal at that price. A recommendation on speakers really depends on the vehicle itself. If a 6 inch speaker is all you can fit, those Infinities are probably as good as any. That said, don't expect anything close to bass as they are really just midrange speakers. A vehicle as large as yours would benefit from a second pair, preferably 6x9s in the back. If you are going to pay someone to install the system, take copies of the models you are looking at to Best Buy. They install and if they install it, the service should be from your car. If someone else installs you pay every time something has to come in or out of the car. Amplifiers always improve sound, especially if you have some larger speakers or 4 speakers. With just one pair of 6 inch speakers, save your money on the amp.

speaker / amplifier question...?




daonewithn


ok so heres my beef, i have a Technics SA-GX130 amplifier, plugged into 2 SK-101(C) speaker towers, which the max wattage on them is 80W peak. long story short, i blew one of the subs because I guess I turned up the amp a little too loud(thank you dubstep -.-). I'm now looking to replace the subs with something better.

I've been looking on craigslist and most of the subs i find are for cars which have higher wattage handling but lower Impedance. Through some research I've found that the Impedance on the speakers should be relative to the Impedance on the amp. The impedance on the amp is "8ohms each speaker" same as the Impedance on the tower speakers (though it should be lower now that the woofer is burnt and i had to take it out... right?), but the Impedance (dont ask me why i keep capitalizing "Impedance"... it just seems right) on the car subs is 4ohms per sub.

So that being said, does that mean that because the Impedance on the car subs is too low, will this be drawing too much from my amp causing it to overheat? or does the fact that I'm joining the speakers from the tower (tweeter and midrange) with the car woofers mean that this would compensate for the lower Impedance on the subs?? (i've done some reading on this and from what i understand, its ok if the Impedance in the speakers is higher than the amps)

and also, seeing how the peak wattage on the tweeter and midrange is 80w peak, and i plan on turning that sucker up since i'll have beefier woofers, would this burn out the the tweeter and mid??
(btw, the specks on the speakers which are on the back of the tower, are for all three combined I assume)

another possible option that i can think of is that, the amp has 2 sets of speaker outputs, so if i was to connect both subs to one channel, seeing how each sub is 4ohms, the 2 together would be 8ohms (or so is my understanding) would this be ok too? (only downside i can see from this is that i would have bass only one channel which might suck depending on the song)


anyways, those are my quetions, I'm a total speaker noob and I haven't found anything relating to my issue online, thanks alot for your input and thanks especially for reading my 20 page manuscript. PEACE
PS, the woofers that burnt were 10". same size as the ones i plan on putting in, and will be going into the same box unless i find some with their own box, in which case i might just leave the burnt woofers in their own box just for the sake of not having a giant hole and ruining the pressure of the box



Answer
If you're looking on Craigslist I have to assume price is the most important factor in your decision or else you would be shopping at a place like parts express instead.
http://www.parts-express.com/
I have this advice for you. Speakers are not created equal and all have their individual characteristics. When you substitute an original speaker with a replacement that is not of the same type you change the characteristics of the whole unit. So you could end up with a speaker system that sounds better than it did new or one that sounds so bad you wonder why you even bothered to try. Also impedance is highly important so forget all of those 10" car subwoofers that are 4 ohms. If your system is 8 ohms then you need an 8 ohm speaker. Oh and yes a 4 ohm speaker will draw more current from the amp and if the amp wasn't designed for it, could cause it to shut down or burn out.

I also read your part about the amp having 2 sets of speaker outputs. Your assumption is WRONG. If you had 2 sets of 4 ohm speakers and had the amp set to play both outputs then the result would be 2 ohms and not 8. as the A/B switch usually parallels speakers.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: New car radio/speakers question!?
Rating: 98% based on 989 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment